COLUMBUS, Miss. (WCBI) – Columbus is joining the likes of Tupelo and Starkville and building a dog park.
The dog park will feature two fenced in areas, a 15,000 square foot area for small dogs and 35,000 square foot fenced area for big dogs.
It will also have fire hydrants, an unleashing area, dog drinking fountains, and park benches for owners.
“It’s been on our drawing board for several years and wanted to do it. So we just feel like it’s time to do it. We are just real excited about it and just anxious to see how this thing takes off once we get completed,” says Roger Short, CLRA Executive Director.
Officials hope to open “BARK PARK” within 3 to 4 weeks.
Dog Park Rules & Regulations
Dogs must meet all guidelines below and maintain current vaccinations Dogs must be vaccinated for rabies and DHLPP and current license and rabies tags must be worn on the dogs collar at all times.
1. Opens at dawn and closes at dusk.
2. No animals other than dogs may be brought into the fenced area.
3. No bicyclists, skateboarders or motorized devices are allowed in the dog park.
4. All dogs must be leashed until safely inside the dog park and returned to a leash prior to exiting.
5. Do not leave the dog gates open, and watch for other dogs on the opposite sides when entering or leaving the park, so they do not escape the park.
6. All dogs must wear a collar but not a choke, chain, prong or training collar.
7. Dogs are not allowed to disturb or chase people.
8. Dogs are not allowed to destroy, dig up or disturb vegetation or trees.
9. Dog owners must remain in the fenced area while their dogs are using the dog park.
10. Dog owners must be in view of their dogs and have voice control at all times.
11. Do not leave your dog in the dog park without supervision.
12. Children accompanying dog owners must be strictly supervised and at least 12 years old to be allowed inside.
13. Spectators should remain outside the fenced area.
14. Dog-aggressive or people-aggressive dogs are not allowed in the dog park.
15. Female dogs in heat are not allowed.
16. Dog owners must closely supervise unneutered male dogs.
17. Dog owners must immediately leash and remove dogs from the dog park at the first sign of aggressive behavior.
18. Do not bring any sick dogs to the dog park.
19. Dog owners must dispose of waste properly in the designated on-site containers.
20. Dog owners or children should not play on the dog park equipment.
21. Do not touch dogs that you do not know without the consent of the dog’s owner.
22. Do not bring rawhide chews or other dog foods in to the dog park
23. Glass containers are not allowed inside the dog park.
24. Smoking and eating are not allowed inside the dog park.
25. No more than three (3) dogs per person are allowed on any single visit.
26. Puppies less than four (4) months old are not permitted.
27. All dog bites should be reported to the Columbus-Lowndes Animal Control (662-327-4080). In addition, owners are required to assist in the investigation of incidents of aggression or biting by providing appropriate identification and information to CPD, AND to other dog owners who are involved with the incident under investigation.
28. Dog owners are liable for any injury or damage caused by their dog and are fully responsible for their dogs actions.
ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!
(Please read before entering the dog park)
You are entering an off-leash dog park and you enter at your own risk. Dog owners or guardians are legally responsible for any damage, injury, or illness your dog(s) may cause to itself, other dogs, other people or yourself. Neither the Columbus-Lowndes Recreation Authority, the City of Columbus, County of Lowndes, their board members, officers, employees, agents or volunteers will be responsible in any way for people or their dogs while in the dog park.
The two posts listed above includes the rules sign that will be posted at the new “BARK PARK” and the “Enter at Own Risk” sign. We are very excited about the new park. Features include: 15,000 sq ft fenced area for small dogs, 35,000 sq ft fenced area for big dogs, an unleashing area, signage, waste disposal stations, dog drinking fountains, 6 fire hydrants, hurdle, jumping hoop and park benches for our owners.