Video: Child Saved
LOWNDES COUNTY, Miss. – (WCBI) Emergency operators received a very dramatic phone call this morning in Lowndes County from a mother trying to save her young daughter’s life. A little after 8 a.m. Thursday morning a mother frantically called 9-1-1 after accidentally locking her 11-month old child in the car. The child somehow got her neck entangled in the seat belt and lost consciousness. Emergency Operator Heather Cole took the call.
I asked her if she had any neighbors or anybody that I could call or have another dispatcher call to help her. She said no, she didn’t know anybody. She was hysterical at that point,” says 911 Operator Heather Cole.
Operator: Do you have anything that you can break the window with?
Caller: I tried to break the window…screams
Operator: Ok break the one furthest from her.
Caller: I can’t… screams
Operator: Ok I need you to calm down so you can help her.
Caller: Please help my daughter… she’s choking. I don’t know if she’s breathing anymore.
Operator: Do you see the deputy?
Caller: Yes…inaudible scream
Operator: Ok, alright he’s there to help you ok?
Caller: Oh God!!
Operator: I’ve got an ambulance and fire department on the way.
“They had to bust the window out of the vehicle to gain entry into it. That’s when they discovered the child strangling in the car seat. When we got the child out of the vehicle, the child wasn’t breathing, there wasn’t a pulse. So myself along with Deputy Collins started CPR at that point,” says Deputy Clint Sims.
The baby girl was initially taken to Baptist Memorial Hospital, but has since been flown to Jackson for further treatment. Deputy Sims says parents should always be aware of the dangers involved with seat belts and small children.
“Always try to keep your spare set of keys with you. Either in your purse or your pocket or billfold. Make sure the child is secure in the car seat before you leave that vehicle for any reason,” adds Sims.
Chief Deputy Marc Miley says he’s very proud of the joint effort made by the 9-1-1 operator and deputies to save the child’s life.