FEMA Public Assistance Extended in Nine Miss. Counties Hit by Storms
JACKSON, Miss. (Press Release) — The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has extended federal disaster aid in nine Mississippi counties to help the state, local and tribal governments and certain private nonprofits cover disaster-related expenses and the repair or rebuilding of critical infrastructure.
The state, local and tribal governments and certain private nonprofits in Itawamba, Jones, Leake, Lee, Lowndes, Newton, Rankin, Wayne and Winston counties can now request funding through all categories of the Public Assistance grant program to help pay for debris removal, emergency protective measures, and the repair or rebuilding of roads, bridges, water control facilities, buildings, equipment, utilities, parks and recreational facilities.
Itawamba, Lee, Lowndes, Madison, Rankin, Wayne and Winston counties were previously designated for FEMA Public Assistance funding for debris removal and emergency protective measures taken before, during and after the disaster.
“The additional federal infrastructure funding is intended to help Mississippi’s hard-hit communities recover from the devastation left by the tornadoes of April 28,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Mark Landry.
Supplementary funding under the Public Assistance program goes to the state and its agencies, local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations
Under the program, the federal share of a project’s expenses typically cannot be less than 75 percent of eligible costs. The remaining 25 percent of eligible cost is usually split by the state and applicant. The state manages the program and forwards the federal funds to eligible applicants that incurred costs.
Individuals cannot apply for FEMA Public Assistance program funding.