Video: Gas Leak Evacuates Noxubee High
NOXUBEE COUNTY, Miss. (WCBI) — Noxubee County High School students have been evacuated this morning after someone turned a gas valve on in the school’s science lab.
Schools Superintendent Kevin Jones tells WCBI the gas smell started filtering through the building before the source was discovered. About a dozen students had allergic or asthmatic reactions and had to be taken to Noxubee general Hospital for treatment.
The students were evacuated to the nearby middle school according to the district’s emergency evacuation plan.
The fire department has evaluated the building and found it safe.
School officials are waiting for all the gas to clear before returning students to class.
Jones says if parents are concerned, they can come see their children or pick them up. Or the students can remain at school.