COLUMBUS, Miss. (WCBI) — A single mother and her two children are homeless after their home goes up in flames early this morning.
The blaze started at about 5:30 a.m. at their single-story, wood-frame home at the corner of 24th street and 6th Avenue North in Columbus.
Cypress Cato said she was following her morning routine of cooking breakfast for her 8- and 12-year-old sons when bacon cooking in the oven set the oven on fire. Realizing it was getting out of control, she got the two boys out of the house and then could only watch as everything they owned burned.
“I kind of was devastated, like in a movie watching your house burn up, everything you’ve worked hard for is gone. I just thank God for grace and mercy…for allowing us to get out in time because it only took three to five minutes before the whole house burned up,” Cato said.
Firefighters were able to save Cato’s car, which was parked only a few feet from the front of the home.
The family had been living in the renatal house for less than two months. Anyone wishing to help the family can do so through the Red Cross in Columbus.