BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (WCBI/SEC) — The Southeastern Conference on Monday announced its Football Players of the Week, recognizing performances from the first week of the 2013 season.
OFFENSIVE: Todd Gurley, Georgia
• Gurley ran for a career-high 154 yards on 12 carries (12.8 avg.) and two touchdowns during the Bulldogs’ 38-35 loss to #8 Clemson.
• His performance included a career-long 75-yard touchdown on his first touch of the game.
• This marked Gurley’s 10th 100-yard performance of his career as he helped Georgia accumulate 545 total yards on offense, including 222 on the ground.
DEFENSIVE: Robenson Therezie, Auburn
• Career high seven tackles and two interceptions
• He became the first Auburn player with two interceptions in a game since linebacker Josh Bynes in 2010 versus Arkansas.
• Therezie became the first Tiger secondary player with two picks in a game since Walt McFadden and T’Sharvan Bell had two each in the 2010 Outback win over Northwestern.
• His first INT came in the first quarter, the first of his career. It set up Auburn’s first touchdown of the game.
• Second interception came in the end zone to stop a Washington State scoring drive late in the game.
SPECIAL TEAMS: Christion Jones, Alabama
• Walter Camp National Offensive Player of the Week.
• Totaled 256 all-purpose yards with three touchdowns.
• Recorded his first punt return for a touchdown, going 72 yards for the score, with 13:21 to go in the first quarter. It was the first punt return for a touchdown by a Tide player since Marquis Maze went 83 yards against Arkansas on Sept. 24, 2011.
• According to the Alabama record books dating back to 1944, Jones is the first player to score two returns/non-offensive touchdowns in one game. In addition to the punt return score in the first quarter and a 94-yard kickoff return in the second quarter, Jones scored on a 38-yard reception in the third quarter.
• Jones is the first player in the FBS to have both a punt return for a touchdown and a kickoff return for a touchdown since 2006.
• Finished the day with 4 punt returns for 100 yards, 2 KO returns for 109 yards and two catches for 47 yards.
DEFENSIVE LINEMAN: Trey Flowers, Arkansas
• Recorded 4.5 tackles, 3.0 for loss including 2.0 sacks, with two quarterback hurries and one forced fumble in 34-14 win vs. Louisiana
• Leads SEC and ranks 7th in NCAA with 3.0 TFLs
• Tied for SEC lead and for 2nd in NCAA with 2.0 sacks
• Tied for SEC lead with one forced fumble
OFFENSIVE LINEMAN: La’el Collins, LSU
• Played 79 of 80 snaps (helmet came off) in LSU’s 37-27 win over No. 20 TCU.
• In first start at left tackle, helped pave the way for an LSU offense that ran 80 plays for 448 yards (197 rushing, 251 passing) vs. TCU defense that returned 9 starters from unit that led Big 12 in total defense last year.
• LSU had 26 first downs and held the ball for 36 minutes … Did not allow a sack from his left tackle spot.
FRESHMAN: Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss
• Led Ole Miss in receiving with nine catches for 82 yards in his debut and helped the Rebels to a thrilling victory at Vanderbilt.
• His nine catches are an OIe Miss freshman record and the most by a Rebel since Mike Espy had nine against Auburn in 2005.
• Caught a key 2-point conversion in the third quarter as Ole Miss rallied from 11 down.
• Hauled in a pass on three straight plays and four out of five in one stretch in the third quarter.