WASHINGTON (Press Release) — U.S. Senator Thad Cochran (R-Miss.) today reported that 14 airports in Mississippi will receive more than $4.8 million to facilitate facility safety and operational improvements.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) will award the Airport Improvement Program (AIP) grants for airport maintenance projects at Bay St. Louis, Belzoni, Belmont, Clarksdale, Columbia, Columbus, Corinth, the Golden Triangle, Grenada, Houston, Lexington, Madison, Okolona and Starkville.
“Airport Improvement Program grants are used by communities to ensure that their airport infrastructure is well maintained and safe for air traffic,” Cochran said. “I’m pleased this grant program is available to Mississippi communities that often look to their airports as a key to economic development.”
AIP grants (http://1.usa.gov/1qmy7Sq) are used to support infrastructure development projects that will improve operational safety and efficiency at local airport facilities. The grant program is funded through the annual Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies Appropriations Bill.
Mississippi AIP grants released by the FAA on Friday include:
- Golden Triangle Regional Airport, Columbus/West Point/Starkville/Lowndes County – $1.0 million for terminal building improvements, as well as runway and taxiway rehabilitation
- George M. Bryan Airport, Starkville – $540,000 for runway safety area improvements
- Fletcher Field Airport, Clarksdale/Coahoma County – $531,748 for taxiway construction
- Bruce Campbell Field Airport, Madison – $404,574 for access road, taxiway and apron construction
- Columbia – Marion County Airport, Columbia – $335,160 for obstruction removal and land acquisition for approaches
- Okolona Municipal – Richard Stovall Field Airport, Okolona – $311,385 for terminal construction and technical infrastructure improvements
- Columbus – Lowndes County Airport, Columbus – $266,526 to improve airport drainage
- Roscoe Turner Airport, Corinth – $263,019 for taxiway rehabilitation
- Stennis International Airport, Bay St. Louis – $235,053 for perimeter fencing installation
- Belzoni Municipal Airport, Belzoni – $230,288 for taxiway construction
- C.A. Moore Airport, Lexington – $201,305 for erosion control
- Tishomingo County Airport, Belmont – $197,865 for obstruction removal and runway safety area improvements
- Grenada Municipal Airport, Grenada – $150,010 for apron rehabilitation
- Houston Municipal Airport, Houston – $150,000 for hangar construction