AMORY, Miss. (WCBI) – A house fire Sunday afternoon claims the life of an Amory woman.
The call came in around 4:00p.m. of a house on fire.
When Amory firefighters arrived the home on 501 3rd Street North was fully engulfed in flames. The elderly resident was unable to exit the home. When firefighters entered the residence, they found 75-year-old Martha Guyton unresponsive.
Monroe County Coroner Alan Gurley says Guyton died of smoke inhalation.
Authorities believe the fire started in the front of the home. Guyton was found in a back bedroom sitting on a love seat at the foot of her bed. She lived alone with her two dogs.
Amory Fire Chief Jimmy Bost says the fire started in the front of the home at an electrical outlet where several extension cords were plugged in. Firefighters think she may have fled to the bedroom to try to escape the fire.
The home had no smoke detectors.