FREE Emergency Preparedness Training Offered Sept 16-21
Date(s) - 09/16/2013-09/21/2013
Mississippi State University
The MSU Campus-Community Emergency Response Team (C-CERT) and the Maroon Volunteer Center are hosting a number of disaster preparedness training opportunities during Emergency Preparedness Week, Sept. 16-21. Sessions are offered in the MSU Student Union and at the MSU CAVS Building.
All sessions are free and open to all members of the MSU, Starkville and Oktibbeha County. We wanted to encourage members of the community to sign-up early online at cert.msstate.edu.
Topics and trainings during emergency preparedness week include:
- An introduction to the Campus-Community Emergency Response Team (C-CERT)
- What is the MSU Crisis Action Team (CAT)?
- Fire Extinguisher Training
- Extreme Weather Presentation
- A Storm Chaser’s View of Severe Weather
- Mississippi Civil Support Team and Golden Triangle HazMat Team
- What do I do in the first 36 hours after a natural disaster?
- Disaster Preparedness Kits
- Disaster preparedness panel of experts
- First Aid, CPR, and AED refresher courses
Sessions are offered both in the afternoon and evening each day, with the 2nd Annual P.R.E.P. Day taking place on Sept. 19. Registration as well as a full schedule for the week is available on the C-CERT website at www.cert.msstate.edu. Space is limited so register today.
Agencies assisting with the trainings include MSU Extension, the Starkville Fire Department, the Mississippi Civil Support Team, the Mississippi Citizen Corps, Mississippi Department of Health, the Campus-Community Emergency Response Team, MSU’s Crisis Action Team, the Office of Environmental Health & Safety, Mississippi State Department of Recreational Sports, the Oktibbeha County Emergency Management Agency, the Golden Triangle Hazardous Materials Response Team, and the Mississippi Emergency Management Agency (MEMA).
For more information on Emergency Preparedness Week, contact Meggan Franks with the Maroon Volunteer Center at 662-325-2208 or email@example.com ( mailto:EMAIL ) or MSU’s C-CERT Coordinator, Ryan Akers at firstname.lastname@example.org ( mailto:EMAIL ).