By Adam Armour
Two-year-old Gabriel Wiggington is being treated at a burn center in Georgia after reportedly suffering second and third degree burns to more than 60 percent of his body.
According to Kirk Reese with the Mantachie Fire Department, firemen responded to a call from a home on Peck Road in the Shiloh Community at around 6:30 p.m., where Wiggington’s grandfather was reportedly burning the gasoline out of a gas tank when the accident occurred. Believing the fire to be extinguished, Wiggington’s grandfather turned the tank on its side, spilling flames atop the child.
Wiggington was initially carried to the North Mississippi Medical Center in Tupelo via ambulance but was then transferred to the Georgia treatment facility.
Officials are still investigating the fire.