Steve Rogers

About Steve Rogers

Assistant News Director/Assignment Editor; degree in finance and administration from Yale University; 35 years experience in journalism.

Nine Fires Prompt Reminder From Red Cross

The American Red Cross urges families to be cautious when using space heaters and other heating sources, and to make a plan in case of a home fire. Heating sources are the leading cause of winter fires, and increase during the winter months of December, January and February.

Heat sources such as space heaters, fireplaces or wood and coal stoves can pose a fire hazard. To reduce the risk of heating related fires, the Red Cross recommends keeping anything that can burn such as paper, bedding or furniture, at least three feet away from heating equipment and fireplaces and to never leave these unattended.

“Since Christmas Day, the Northeast MS Chapter responded to 23 home fires in the nine counties of the 16 counties the chapter serves,” said Cheryl Kocurek, Readiness and Response Manager. “But the good news is that there are steps you can take to reduce your risk of a home fire.”

The American Red Cross offers the following fire prevention tips:

· All heaters need space. Keep all things that can burn (paper, matches, bedding, furniture, clothing, carpets, and rugs) at least three feet away from heating equipment.

· Never leave a fire in the fireplace unattended, and use a glass or metal fire screen to keep fire and embers in the fireplace.

·Never use a cooking range or oven to heat your home.

·Turn off portable space heaters every time you leave the room or go to sleep.

·Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, and chimneys inspected annually by a professional, and cleaned if necessary.

·If you must use a space heater, place it on a level, hard and nonflammable surface (such as ceramic tile floor), not on rugs, or carpets or near bedding or drapes. Plug power cords directly into outlets and never into an extension cord.

The Red Cross depends on the generous support of Northeast MS residents to be ready to respond and help our neighbors who are affected by home fires. You can help your neighbors recover from disasters like home fires by making a tax-deductible donation today. To make a financial donation, please visit www.mississippi-redcross.org or call 662-842-6101.

For more Red Cross fire safety and preparedness information, visit www.mississippi-redcross.org/homefires.