Almost 400 Red Cross workers are providing shelter, emotional support, meals and relief supplies to people impacted by the storm that devastated parts of Mississippi last week.
The Red Cross has delivered almost 39,000 meals and snacks and will continue to work with local faith-based groups and other community organizations to provide support to families and workers at fixed locations in the affected communities.
Emergency vehicles are traveling through communities to deliver supplies such as rakes, shovels, trash bags and gloves to individuals and families picking up the pieces of their homes. More than 12,000 relief supplies and clean-up kits have been distributed to date.
FEMA is hosting Disaster Recovery Centers for families and individuals affected to talk about their situation and receive help registering for FEMA assistance. The American Red Cross will also have staff on site to help families build recovery plans and to distribute clean-up kits and relief items like tarps, shovels, rakes and gloves. Locations include:
· Georgia Pacific, 826 S. Church, Louisville, (Winston) MS – 8am to 8pm
· Old Tupelo Water and Light Building, 320 Court Street, Tupelo, (Lee) MS – 8am to 8pm
· Community Center, 265 Tishtontee Drive, Mantachie, (Itawamba) MS – 8am to 8pm
· New Hope Community Center, 381 Stadium Road, Columbus, (Lowndes) MS – 8am to 8pm
· Rankin County Office, 601 Marquette Road, Brandon, (Rankin) MS – 8am to 8pm
East Columbus Gym, 222 Lawrence Drive, Columbus, (Lowndes), MS – Opens at 12pm today and then 8am to 8pm
Three Shelter locations are currently open and providing families and individuals affected with a warm meal to eat and a safe place to stay. Locations include:
· Louisville, MS – First Baptist Church
· Tupelo, MS – Bancorp South Center
HOW TO HELP: Those who would like to help people affected by disasters like tornadoes, floods and other crises can make a donation to American Red Cross Disaster Relief. People can donate by visiting www.redcross.org, calling 1-800-RED CROSS or texting the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation. These donations enable the Red Cross to prepare for, respond to and help people recover from disasters big and small.