Emily Cassulo

About Emily Cassulo

Video: Ole Miss Considers Carbon Monoxide Monitors

OXFORD, Miss. (AP) — A spokesman says the University of Mississippi will consider installing carbon monoxide monitors in dormitories after a student’s monitor detected high levels of the harmful gas.

Firefighters evacuated dozens of students from a women’s dorm, Hefley Hall, for about an hour Thursday. No one was injured.

A local newspaper reports that a parent of a dorm resident called campus authorities after the student’s carbon monoxide detector sounded.

Oxford Fire Chief Cary Sallis the source of the carbon monoxide was a malfunctioning boiler.

University spokesman Danny Blanton says the dorm’s carbon monoxide level was high but not dangerous. He says the university will consider installing monitors.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless gas produced by combustible engines, appliances and heating systems, and is poisonous to humans.