MSU Extension Highlights ATV Safety Tips
STARKVILLE, Miss. (WCBI) – Summer is the perfect time to refresh residence on ATV safety tips and Mississippi State University Extension Service is taking advantage of the season.
Miss. State wants residence to know all of the hazards as well as safety instructions that are attached to ATVs.
Their goal is to educate all riders via workshops, literature and other outlets this week.
The ATV Safety Institutes’s Golden Rules:
- Always wear a Department of Transportation-compliant helmet, goggles, long sleeves, long pants, over-the-ankle boots and gloves.
- To avoid being hit by another vehicle, never ride on paved roads, except to cross when it can be done safely and is permitted by law. ATVs are not designed to be operated on highways and streets.
- Never ride under the influence of alcohol or other drugs.
- Never carry a passenger on a single-rider ATV. Carry only one passenger on an ATV specifically designed for two people.
- Ride an ATV that is age and size appropriate.
- Supervise riders younger than 16 years old; ATVs are not toys.
- Ride only on designated trails and at a safe speed.