Emily Cassulo

About Emily Cassulo

Video: Starkville Family Loses Home in Fire

[jwplatform maHeYTaR]

STARKVILLE, Miss. (WCBI) — A Starkville family is homeless after a fire destroyed their home early Friday morning.

Deborah Williams and her daughter, Beneshia, are looking at what’s left of Beneshia’s bedroom, which was destroyed by a fire started by a space heater.

“I thank God she’s still living, ’cause I don’t know what I’d do if something like that happened to my child and I couldn’t help her,” Deborah said.

Beneshia says she turned on her heater, and was only asleep for about 20 minutes when she woke up surrounded by flames.

“It startled me, but I just jumped up, I panicked,” she said. “I was like, ‘I gotta do something.’ I tried to put it out myself first, and then I just ran and got my momma.”

Everyone got out safely, but their home is a total loss, including Deborah’s car.

“My boyfriend, he ran and got the fire extinguisher, but he couldn’t get it to release, and the fire just already had just took over the room, and I told him to just throw everything down, let’s get out,” Deborah said.

Deborah says they had to get out quickly as the smoke took over the house.

“And that scared me because I realized it could’ve been a worser situation than it is now,” she said. “I could’ve lost my child and stuff. I mean, I’d rather have her any day.”

Despite losing everything, the Williams are still trying to stay positive.

“We’re just praying for better,” Beneshia said. “We know there’s got to be something better.”

The Williams family tells WCBI they’re glad they have family closeby to stay with, but they’re not sure what’s next. They’re just taking it day by day.

If you’d like to help, you can bring donations to the Williams’ church – Peter’s Rock Temple Church of God in Christ – in Starkville.