Area Airports Receive State Funding
Jackson, Miss. — The Mississippi Transportation Commission (MTC) recently authorized the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) to provide the matching funds for upcoming federal airport improvement projects. These funds will provide 50 percent of the local matching share to projects funded by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).
“Local airports are vital to the economy of a rural state like Mississippi,” said Transportation Commissioners Dick Hall, Tom King and Mike Tagert in a joint statement by the MTC. “MDOT recognizes the importance of matching the local share for FAA grants that will help make needed improvements that will continue to support local economic growth and development.”
Local matching share funds were approved for the following airports in Mississippi.
- $14,000- Stennis International Airport, Bay St. Louis: Acquire Aircraft Rescue and Firefighting (ARFF) vehicle.
- $4,000- Tishomingo County Airport, Belmont: Acquire land for runway approaches and obstruction removal.
- $20,000- Belzoni Municipal Airport, Belzoni: Construct phase 2 of a partial parallel taxiway.
- $12,000- Booneville-Baldwyn Airport, Booneville: Remove obstructions, improve runway safety area, rehabilitate apron and update airport master plan.
- $24,000- Brookhaven- Lincoln County Airport, Brookhaven: Rehabilitate apron and taxiway, acquire easements and remove obstructions to support area navigation (RNAV) approach.
- $38,000- Fletcher Field, Clarksdale: Phase 2 of taxiway construction and rehabilitate runway lighting.
- $10,000- Cleveland Municipal Airport, Cleveland: Rehabilitate taxiway.
- $35,000- Columbia-Marion County Airport, Columbia: Overlay runway, taxiway and apron.
- $11,000- Columbus-Lowndes County Airport, Columbus: Obstruction removal in approaches.
- $55,000- Golden Triangle Regional Airport, Columbus/West Point: Land acquisition and rehabilitate general aviation apron.
- $10,000- Roscoe Turner Field, Corinth: Install perimeter fencing and rehabilitate apron.
- $12,000- Ruleville-Drew Airport, Drew: Construct box hangar.
- $24,000- Eupora Municipal Airport, Eupora: Overlay and mark runway, taxiway and apron.
- $8,000- G.V. Montgomery Airport, Forest: Remove/mitigate obstructions.
- $54,000- Greenwood-Leflore County Airport: Phase 2 of widening Taxiway A.
- $14,000- Grenada Municipal Airport, Grenada: Rehabilitate concrete apron joints and crack repair on runway.
- $181,000- Gulfport- Biloxi International Airport, Gulfport: Pavement Condition Index (PCI) study, design Taxiway H, Taxilane F. passenger boarding bridge at Gate 2, rehabilitate terminal apron and phase 2 of Taxiway B.
- $200,000- Gulfport-Biloxi International Airport, Gulfport: Phase 9 of noise program.
- $145,000- Hattiesburg-Bobby L. Chain Airport, Hattiesburg: Rehabilitate runway 13/31.
- $24,000- Hattiesburg-Laurel Regional Airport, Hattiesburg/Laurel: Construct Taxiway F.
- $11,000- Hollandale Municipal Airport, Hollandale: Perimeter fencing and drainage improvements.
- $16,000- Holly Springs- Marshall County Airport, Holly Springs: Land acquisition and obstruction removal.
- $8,000- Houston Municipal Airport, Houston: Construct access taxiways.
- $18,000- Iuka Airport, Iuka: Rehabilitate runway lighting and update airport layout plan (ALP).
- $65,000- Kosciusko-Attala County Airport, Kosciusko: Rehabilitate runway.
- $10,000- C.A. Moore Airport, Lexington: Clearing, fence repair and erosion control.
- $10,000- Louisville-Winston County Airport, Louisville: Update ALP, access road improvements and phase 1 runway and apron rehabilitation.
- $10,000- I.H. Bass, Jr. Memorial Airport, Lumberton: Construct new hangar.
- $$82,000- Bruce Campbell Field, Madison: Construct terminal building, parking area and access roads.
- $10,000- McComb-Pike County Airport, McComb: Install perimeter fencing.
- $5,000- Meridian Regional Airport, Meridian: Remark runway.
- $36,000- Natchez-Hardy Anders Field, Natchez: Construct T-hangar.
- $10,000- New Albany-Union County Airport, New Albany: Install precision approach path indicators (PAPI).
- $9,000- James H. Easom Field, Newton: Land acquisition for runway protection zone (RPZ).
- $12,000- Okolona Municipal Airport, Okolona: Replace runway lighting.
- $200,000- University-Oxford Airport, Oxford: Runway extension justification, east ramp development project and runway gradient correction project.
- $23,000- Trent Lott International Airport, Pascagoula: Replace airfield guidance signs, mark runways and rehabilitate taxiways.
- $25,000- Philadelphia Municipal Airport, Philadelphia: Construct new terminal building.
- $5,000- Picayune Municipal Airport, Picayune: Construct new taxiway connector to existing aprons and update ALP.
- $5,000- Prentiss-Jefferson Davis County Airport, Prentiss: Update ALP and rehabilitate apron.
- $22,000- Quitman-Clarke County Airport, Quitman: Construct apron and taxiway.
- $74,000- John Bell Williams Airport, Raymond: Reconstruct taxiways.
- $24,000- Ripley Airport, Ripley: Rehabilitate apron.
- $54,000- George M. Bryan Field, Starkville: Improve runway safety and object free areas.
- $22,000- Tupelo Regional Airport, Tupelo: Seal and mark runway, install perimeter fencing and erosion control for runway safety area.
- $20,000- Paul Pittman Memorial Airport, Tylertown: Construct box hanger.
- $10,000- Vicksburg Municipal Airport, Vicksburg: Obstruction removal and install PAPI on runway 19.
- $14,000- Water Valley Municipal Airport, Water Valley: Install fuel farm and cantilever gate.
- $14,000- Waynesboro Municipal Airport, Waynesboro: Install fuel farm, remark runway and update airport masterplan.
- $14,000- Dean Griffin Memorial Airport, Wiggins: Install fuel farm and perform environmental study for obstruction clearing.
- $15,000- Winona-Montgomery County Airport, Winona: Construct T- hangars and taxilanes.
MDOT’s responsibilities include maintaining and improving the state’s highways and interstates, but also focus on providing a safe intermodal transportation network for airports, ports and waterways, railroads and public transit systems. Each of these modes of transportation plays a vital role in transporting goods and services that promote economic growth and development throughout Mississippi.