As authorities search for the cause of Monday night’s blaze, family members say they are counting on compassionate individuals to help.
It was around 10 30 Monday evening when Mary Robinson’s granddaughter-in-law burst through the front door of her home.
“She says, ‘the house is on fire,'” Robinson recalled.
When Robinson stepped onto her porch, she saw flames swallowing the family’s mobile home right next door. She quickly realized her grandchildren were inside the inferno.
As she dialed 911, her son in law, Cornelius Tate ran into the burning home risking his life to rescue his kids, Gracie and Christopher.
“He went in and got his children and he’s got the singed hair to prove it,” she said.
Her grandchildren were transported to a burn center in Georgia. Cornelius is at a burn center in Brandon. Another child, Gabrielle, was also pulled from the house. She was treated and released at the North Mississippi Medical Center.
As friends and family helped bury several pets who were also lost in the blaze, Mary Robinson, who is also a pastor, stood in front of the house thinking of the family’s most pressing needs.
“Our spiritual need is everybody who knows how to get a prayer through, to pray for the family. Physical needs of this family is they all need clothes. Anything that a family could use, necessity or non necessity item. We need under clothes, top clothes, shoes, coats, dresses, everything a person would need to survive,” Robinson said.
Robinson, whose family has owned land on Ford Avenue for decades, also knows things could have turned out much worse.
“We appreciate, thank God that the family was safe, even though the home is gone, we thank God we lost no family members, and we ask you to continue to pray, especially for the children,” she said.
If you would like to help the family, you can call 662 871 7211 or 662 348 5876. This was at least the fourth house fire in the area in two days. On Sunday, two women lost their lives in separate house fires in Saltillo and Amory. A Lowndes County family lost much of their home in a fire Tuesday afternoon.