Fire Destroys Union County Furniture Store & Warehouse
UNION COUNTY, Miss. (WCBI)- An early morning fire destroys a Union County furniture store and a warehouse for a nearby factory.
It was around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday when the first 911 calls came in reporting a fire at Thomas Wholesale Furniture on Highway 15 North in the North Haven community.
The entire building was in flames when crews arrived and a warehouse for Master Bilt Refrigeration Solutions, which sits in back of the furniture company, was also destroyed.
Firefighters faced many challenges with the huge blaze.
“Your mattresses, and sofas, they are combustible and on the other end, we had freon and propane, which is also very combustible and we ended up deciding it was going to be a total loss and no lives were worth risking over material products,” said Blake Smith, assistant fire chief with the North Haven Volunteer Fire Department.
Crews from 11 nearby fire departments helped fight the blaze.
Master Bilt was closed through the day, but expects to be at its normal schedule on Thursday.
Leave a Reply