Gas leak causes evacuation at Armstrong Middle School
STARKVILLE, Miss. (WCBI) – Some frantic moments at a Starkville school Tuesday as a gas leak forced district leaders to evacuate the campus.
More than 1,000 students were taken by bus to the Starkville High School football stadium where they were released to parents or guardians
The evacuation began around noon after someone on campus noticed the smell of gas in the area outside the band hall.
Atmos workers arrived on campus and determined the levels of leakage were sufficient enough to clear the campus.
“We are pleased, first of all, with our teachers and our students at Armstrong Middle School in the process of evacuating 1,200 students and over 100 plus staff members out of that school in a really short period of time,” said SOCSD Superintendent Eddie Peasant.
Atmos workers determined the leak came from a pressure regulator in the area of the band hall.
Dr. Peasant said classes will resume Wednesday.
Leave a Reply