Latest On MUW Gas Leak

COLUMBUS, Miss. (WCBI)- 39 Mississippi University for Women students went to the hospital on Tuesday morning after a carbon monoxide leak at a residence hall on campus.

A Baptist Golden Triangle spokesperson says some of the students came in by ambulance and others arrived in a private vehicle.

No students have been admitted to the hospital.

Columbus Fire and Rescue Spokesman Anthony Colom tells WCBI gases from the boiler in the basement of Kincannon Hall were leaking because the boiler was “inadequately working.”

Colom says carbon monoxide extended to all five floors of the dorm. Students were evacuated to Stark Recreation Center, per an MUW spokesperson.

As of 3 p.m. yesterday, officials say no carbon monoxide was detected.

Testing of the boiler system is underway and will continue through the day, Wednesday, November 29.

Residents of Kincannon Hall have been relocated to a nearby hotel.

We will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

Categories: Local News

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *