UPDATE: MUW Carbon Monoxide Leaks

COLUMBUS, Miss. (WCBI) – An update tonight, November 29, on the Carbon Monoxide leak that sent dozens of Mississippi University for Women students to the hospital.

In all, 41 students sought treatment after what school officials are calling an apparent boiler misfire.

No students have been admitted to the hospital however.

University president Doctor Jim Borsig says technicians are examining the boilers on campus.

This afternoon Columbus Firefighters and MUW staff say the building is clear of carbon monoxide.

More than 100 students are currently being housed off campus.

“The three boilers that I described have open flames, and so that is a more likely source of carbon monoxide release. We are in the process of installing carbon monoxide detectors on those three as we speak, I’m not sure where we are, we have issued the order to get that done. We will have carbon monoxide detectors in place before bedtime today,” says MUW President, Dr. Jim Borsig.

Kincannon Hall is scheduled to reopen Thursday.

We will continue to update this story as more information becomes available.

Categories: Local News, Top Story

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *