Starkville/Oktibbeha County Consolidation Plan Released
STARKVILLE PUBLIC SCHOOL PRESS RELEASE
PROPOSED PLAN FOR THE CONSOLIDATION OF
STARKVILLE SCHOOL DISTRICT AND THE
OKTIBBEHA COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
(This Proposed Plan is for discussion purposes only and is subject to change.)
1. All public school students who reside in Oktibbeha County will be educated by the Starkville Consolidated School District.
2. East Oktibbeha Elementary School will remain a Pre-K through Grade 6 elementary school at the same location in the Starkville Consolidated School District. The school zone for East Oktibbeha Elementary School will remain the same.
3. West Oktibbeha Elementary School will remain Pre-K through Grade 6 elementary school at the same location in the Starkville Consolidated School District. The school zone for West Oktibbeha Elementary School will remain the same.
4. As a result of East Oktibbeha Elementary School and West Oktibbeha Elementary School remaining Pre-K through Grade 6 schools at the samelocations,
the following elementary schools in Starkville will remain at the same location and serve the same grades in the consolidated school district:
· Sudduth Elementary (Grades K-2);
· Ward-Stewart Elementary (Grades 3-4); and
· Henderson (Grade 5).
The school zones for Sudduth Elementary, Ward-Steward Elementary and Henderson will remain the same.
5. The following are the Short-Term and Long-term Proposed Plans for providing an education for the 6th, 7th and 8th grade students in the Starkville Consolidated School District:
Short Term –
· Sixth Grade Students in the Starkville School District will attend Overstreet. (8/1/15)
· The Alternative School will move to an alternate site.
· All 7th and 8th grade students in Starkville and Oktibbeha County School Districts will attend Armstrong Middle School.
Long Term –
Plan A –
· Reassign the 9th grade from the High School.
· Build an 8th and 9th grade school.
– Cost approximately $14M
– Move-in date of August 2017
· All 6th and 7th graders in the Starkville Consolidated School District will attend Armstrong Middle School.
· Build 16 classrooms at Armstrong Middle School to provide classrooms for all 7th and 8th grade students in the Starkville Consolidated School District.
· Cost approximately $3,069,000.00.
· Move-in date of August 2016.
(Plan B is not the preferred plan to provide the best educational opportunities for students and will only be initiated if there is a lack of funding.)
6. Students in Grades 9-12 at East Oktibbeha High School and West Oktibbeha High School will attend Starkville High School. (August, 2015)
7. Increase the number of Four-year-old Pre-Kindergarten classrooms. (Currently, Starkville School District has two (2) four-year-old Pre-kindergarten classes. Currently, Oktibbeha County School District has one (1) four-year-old Pre-kindergarten class at East Oktibbeha Elementary and one (1) four-year old class at West Oktibbeha Elementary.)