Steve Rogers

About Steve Rogers

Assistant News Director/Assignment Editor; degree in finance and administration from Yale University; 35 years experience in journalism.

Video: Trip for Milk Leads to House Fire

COLUMBUS, Miss. (WCBI) — A quick trip to a neighbor’s for milk leads to a destructive fire.

Columbus firefighters say Angela Erby at 819 Waterworks Road was cooking this morning when she left the home to walk next door to get some milk.

When she returned, the kitchen was on fire. Erby tried to put it out with a fire extinguisher, but it got out of control and spread to the home’s attic.

It took 10 firefighters from three engine companies about two hours to make sure the fire was completely out.

Erby wasn’t injured but a pregnant neighbor who was watching was transported taken to Baptist Golden Triangle after breathing smoke.