Paulo Salazar

About Paulo Salazar

Paulo comes to us from San Antonio, Texas. He graduated from Mississippi State University in 2007 and loves his MSU Bulldogs. Paulo has been with WCBI News over four years and curerently serves as the Weekend Anchor and weekly reporter. To contact him feel free to email him at paulosalazar@wcbi.com or follow him on twitter @paulosalazar34.

You Could Be Breathing Hazardous Gases

STARKVILLE, Miss. (WCBI) -Using gas to keep your house warm when the weather turns cold could be a hazard to your health.

According to the United States Consumer Product Safety Administration, 170 people in the nation die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Starkville Fire Department says they’ve seen one too many cases where the levels of carbon monoxide were high inside a resident’s home. Breathing in the gas in large doses can suffocate a person.

Authorities are urging residents to invest in a carbon monoxide detector, which range from 15 to 60 dollars.

Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, sleepiness and reddish cheeks.

You’re asked to call your local authorities if you experience any of these symptoms.